Wednesday, September 21

10 Things to Think About

We all know (at least I hope) that you need to take care of yourself to be happy and healthy. However, I think few of us actually stop, think about what that means, and DO something about it. This article is on how to take care of yourself - mentally. Over the years of dealing with my problems, I find my mental health is directly linked to my physical well being. If I don't take care of my physical well being - my mental well being suffers. And vice versa. Here are the steps this article suggests.

1. Talk about your feelings.
Guys - guys don't talk about feelings. Ever. {unless they're married and/or they're forced into it} Girls - I don't really know about girls in general, but I'm a girl and I know about me. I'm an introvert. There are only a select few people I tell anything to. And even then, it has to be the right time/place to spill my guts and it usually ends up being after I hold all my feelings in for a long time and can't handle it anymore. You know, in the communication field the people you talk to the most about what is going on in your life is very close friends/family and strangers. No middle ground.
Do you talk about your feelings? How often? To whom?

2. Eat Well
We all know we should eat well, but do we know what eat well even means? Less junk food, less fast food, less sugar and chocolate. What about adding? More water. More fruits and vegetables. And if we know what it means, not many people follow it. I have a hard time and I do really well.
How are you doing on eating well, honestly? What do you think eat well means?

3. Keep in touch.
This one is hard for me, being the introvert that I am - I know being connected helps me but actually doing it is very hard; however, I think for most people it is pretty easy and they do it all the time.
Are you keeping in touch with family and friends?

4. Take a break.
Even a small break. I have a hard time focusing. I think if I plan to focus and plan to have a break/treat at the end I focus a lot better. Taking a break is a much needed part of life. Whether it is a half hour walk around the block, checking facebook (often turns into way too long and wishes not to return), or a vacation.
Do you take breaks? What kind of breaks?

5. Accept who you are.
I am really good at this one sometimes and not so good other times. However, I think in general I know who/what I am and I'm okay with that. People put on facades so I really have no idea how the general public does with accepting who they really are.
Have you accepted who you are?

6. Keep active.
I know a lot of people who do keep active, however I know a lot (including me) whose health keeps them from keeping active. How does one keep active when that happens? Its tricky and its difficult. Exercise is good for your mood, concentration, looks, self-esteem, sleep, and organs healthy.
Do you keep active? How?

7. Drink sensibly.
Don't drink to deal with problems. I think that's pretty sensible, I don't drink but I think if I did it would be to deal with problems (which actually doesn't help with problems).
Do you drink? Why do you drink? Do you drink too much?

8. Ask for help.
Its hard to ask for help. It takes courage to do it and the ability to step back and realize that we need help.
How often do you ask for help? Should you be asking for more help?

9. Do something you're good at.
This helps de-stress and boost self-esteem. However, when do we have time to do something we like or we're good at? Me? Pretty much never between september 1-december 15 and january 5-april 30. Then how about the time we're not in school? We have work. Who has time or even the motivation to do things we like after a hard day at work?
Do you take time to do things you like? How much time do you get to spend on things you like to do?

10. Care for others.
Service. Helps you feel good about yourself and makes relationships better. I think cleaning up after yourself and picking up trash at school is a good way to start caring for others.
How do you care for others? How do you serve?
Overall, I think the general population knows how to stay healthy but choose not to because other things at this point are more important to them. How do we change that?

No comments:

Post a Comment