Wednesday, October 5

Tell me you don't do this

A recent article in the Detroit Free Press contends that Americans may 'talk' eat well, but they don't 'walk' eat well. 47% of Americans 'talk' about restaurants having healthy choices only 23% 'walk the walk'. That is a huge difference, especially considering 2/3 of the US population is overweight or obese. Because of this, high calorie and fat breakfasts sell more than Simple and Fit at IHOP and French Fries sell better than apple slices at McDonald's. Changing menus for restaurants is time consuming and expensive, especially when hardly anyone buys it afterwards. No wonder healthier items tend to be more expensive. I think there are two major flaws with this study. The primary one being, I eat 'Simple and Fit' at home, so when I go out - I want to splurge a little. For example, I eat a cup of oatmeal and fruit every morning for breakfast. Last week we went out to breakfast for my husbands grandma at Cracker Barrel. I'm not ordering oatmeal (even if it was a choice). I want waffles. I want eggs. I want bacon. I want a hefty typical breakfast. It doesn't mean I eat that every day, it means I don't eat it every day and I want it when I go out. The second flaw I see is about people not like me. Maybe those who eat unhealthy at home and then go eat unhealthy eating out. Or maybe those people who always eat out and never choose the healthy choice. And I think this is where Americans are. How can it not be when 2/3 of Americans are overweight+? Do I think having healthy choices is good in restaurants? YES! I think the more healthy tasty choices there are out there the more likely people are to buy them. However, I don't think the lifestyle of American's diet can be changed overnight. It needs to be a conscious effort on the part of every American to eat healthier and slowly wean themselves off of unhealthy fast food. Eat healthy almost all the time, and then you can eat unhealthy a small amount of the time. It will make you feel so much better not only physically, but about yourself as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment